Friday, July 23, 2010

Some out-of-print books I covet

These are some of the books I wish I could own, often available used through places like Abe, Alibris, and Amazon, but are just too darn expensive.

American Magus Harry Smith: A Modern Alchemist, edited by Paola Igliori
The book I know of that is a comprehensive look at the life and work of this remarkable character; a music archivist, filmmaker, magician. Much of his work can be seen online, and in particular YouTube has a substantial number of his films.

I have seen this book for about $50.00-120.00.



Automata. A Historical and Technological Study, by Alfred Chapuis and Edmond Droz (Translated by Alec Reid)
One of the most comprehensive looks at the history of automata and the relationship to watchmaking. A beautiful massively illustrated volume. A book I have wanted for years.


Volumes in good condition are around $195.00- 300.00

A Golden Guide to Hallucinogenic Plants, Richard Evans Schultes
I will always have a special place in my heart for the Golden Guide series, and I was amazed to discover this out-of-print little gem. I mean look at it! Just look at it!


Price is anywhere from $175.00-500.00 or more.


 

KrautRockSampler, by Julian Cope
Cope's love letter to KrautRock, filled with terrific anecdotes and deep investigations of the music. Includes album cover images and a top fifty list.  

About $40.00-100.00 for a decent copy.



The Modern Antiquarian: A Pre-Millennial Odyssey Through Megalithic Britain, By Julian Cope
Not coincidentally, another one by Cope, this his travel and spiritual guide through the standing stones and other ancient artifact of Britain. Includes maps, photographs, poetry, and reflections.  So impressive, the BBC crafted a documentary of the same name hosted by Cope.

Can only be had for $180 and up.





No comments: